Living in communities with people from many walks of life can leave us feeling alone and vulnerable. We can be made to feel different too, simply because of how we look, our beliefs, or the way we choose to live our lives. Such acts can make us a victim of a Hate Crime or Incident.
Across Northamptonshire partner agencies are working together to ensure any report of a Hate Crime or Incident is dealt with efficiently and in an appropriate manner, to bring offenders to justice, to support victims, and to remove Hate Crime from our communities.
We won't stand for it and nor should you.
WHAT IS A HATE CRIME OR INCIDENT?
A Hate Crime or Incident is any offence perceived by the victim or any other person, whether a witness, friend or family member, as being motivated by prejudice or hate.
Reasons for the crime can be based on -
- Race, colour, ethnic origin and nationality
- Religion, faith and belief
- Sexual orientation
- Disability and learning difficulties
- Gender identity
Hate Crimes or Incidents can come in many different forms and varying degrees of seriousness. Below are just some examples reported in the past.
- Verbal insults or abusive gestures
- Threat of attack or bullying
- Offensive letters or e-mails
- Abusive or threatening phone calls, texts, e-mails or letters
- Malicious complaints
- Physical assaults, which can include a minor push, as well as more serious assaults
- Damage to a victim’s house, shed, car or any other property they own
- Offensive graffiti
- Neighbour disputes
- Rubbish thrown in to a garden or dumped near to a home
- Eggs or stones thrown at a house
- Offensive or dangerous substances posted through letterboxes
WHY YOU SHOULD REPORT
Reporting a Hate Crime or Incident, no matter how minor you think it may be, gives us a chance to protect you and others.
We can help by –
- Emotionally supporting you to cope with the effects of being a victim
- Dealing with other agencies on your behalf, such as the police or housing associations
- Giving advice on safety and home security
- Organising practical support after a break in or vandalism to your home
- And, if you haven’t wanted to report a Hate Crime or Incident to the police, doing so on your behalf
To report a Hate Crime or Incident you can call Northamptonshire Police on 03000 111 222 or Victim Support on 01604 603477.
For more information on where reports can be made go to www.northamptonshire.ac.uk/harassment.
In an emergency always call 999.